Date:      Mon, 1 Mar 1999 22:10:49 -0700 (MST)
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>
To:        dervish@ikhala.tcimet.net (Natty Rebel)
Cc:        scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Problems with teac cdroms + symbios based adapters?

Natty Rebel wrote...
> Hey all (I had posted this message to hackers, but scsi is more appropriate ...)
>
> I've recently purchased a Teac 516s 16x cdrom along with a Kouwell 801V10B
> Fast SCSI adapter (Symbios 53C810a chipset).  My problem is that the cdrom
> drive fails to recognise any cd's placed in it.  Here are some results
> using camcontrol:
>
> # camcontrol tur -n cd -v
> (pass0:ncr0:0:3:0): TEST UNIT READY. CDB: 0 0 0 0 0 0
> (pass0:ncr0:0:3:0): NOT READY asc:3a,0
> (pass0:ncr0:0:3:0): Medium not present
> Unit is not ready
>
> the above is the main message that i see (i.e. 'medium not present' and
> 'unit is not ready').

Hmm, interesting.

> what's funny is that i can send the eject command
> and the tray will eject.

That's not surprising at all.  In fact, I would expect that with tray-type
drives.

> i've called teac tech support and the rep said
> there were some known issues with cam and symbios based chipsets.  is this correct?

How would someone from Teac know about CAM at all?  Sure, there are some
bugs in the NCR/Symbios driver.  They mainly due to the fact that no one is
actively maintaining it.

> the mailing list archives are off-line at the moment so i could not check if this
> is indeed an issue.
>
> here are some other outputs:
>
> # camcontrol devlist -v
> scbus-1 on xpt1116471295 bus 0:
> <  >                               at scbus-1 target -1 lun -1 (xpt0)
> scbus0 on ncr0 bus 0:
> <TEAC CD-ROM CD-516S 1.0G>         at scbus0 target 3 lun 0 (pass0,cd0)
> <  >                               at scbus0 target -1 lun -1 ()
>
> # camcontrol inquiry -n cd
> <TEAC CD-ROM CD-516S 1.0G> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-2 device
> Serial Number
> 10.0MB/s transfers (10.0MHz, offset 8)
>
> # camcontrol reset -n cd
> Reset of bus 0 was successful
>
> # camcontrol periphlist -n cd
> pass0:  generation: 6 index: 1 status: MORE
> cd0:  generation: 6 index: 2 status: LAST
>
> any help is appreciated ...

Well, I'm not sure what we can really do about it.  If the drive says
there's no media present, there's probably not a whole lot you can do to
convince it otherwise.

Does that controller/drive combination work on any other OS?  I kinda
suspect that it won't.  At least if you can tell them "it doesn't work
under Windows", they might take the drive back and give you one that works.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@plutotech.com