Date:      Sun, 30 Mar 2014 07:31:26 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Warren Block <wblock@wonkity.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, Beeblebrox <zaphod@berentweb.com>
Subject:   Re: Automount in LXDE or Xfce

On Sun, 30 Mar 2014, Polytropon wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Mar 2014 08:46:25 -0700 (PDT), Beeblebrox wrote:
>>> Can anyone maybe share a _working_ configuration example?
>>
>> You have two choices for daemon: hald or devd. As you are aware, hald is
>> linux-based and devd is native FreeBSD, but still somewhat experimental.
>> Your choice as to which one (and why) will be preferred.
>
> I know that HAL is already deprecated in Linux world in favour
> of udev, upower et al. and doesn't fully work in FreeBSD. At
> the time it will work perfectly, nobody will be using it, like
> APM. :-)
>
> The desktop per se does _not_ matter, be it Xfce (which is
> missing icons and cannot shutdown the system)

misc/gnome-icon-theme and misc/gnome-icon-theme-extras provide a full
set of icons.  They are different from xfce's but better-looking IMO.

xfce can reboot or shut down a system.  The file
/usr/local/etc/polkit-1/localauthority/50-local.d/org.freedesktop.consolekit.pkla
must be created as shown in the pkg-message of one of the xfce ports,
and xfce must be started with with ConsoleKit support:

startxfce4 --with-ck-launch

There are several ports that handle automount.  I used my own script for
that, but recently went back to manual mounting for simplicity.