Date:      Tue, 1 Oct 1996 19:33:24 -0700
From:      Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   XDrawString

I am running into some funnyness on my FreeBSD machine that I
can't duplicate anywhere else, so I'll inquire here.  I'm running

FreeBSD deceit.xcf.berkeley.edu 2.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 2.2-CURRENT #1: Sun Sep 22 18:42:02 PDT 1996     jmacd@deceit.xcf.berkeley.edu:/home3/current-src/sys/compile/DECEIT  i386

and have a little X application that simply draws a string to the
window.  The reason I wrote this application to begin with was that
I am writing a text widget and I wanted to know how X handled
XDrawString calls when the string length runs way off the window,
I wanted to see whether it would clip it in a sensible manner.
My results showed that XDrawString on a 2048 character string,
where only 50 or so are on-screen takes much longer than the same
call with only the visible length supplied.  This strikes me as a
rather stupid way to do things, but thats just an opinion.  The
problem arises when I draw strings longer than a certain length,
the text actually wraps around and starts drawing over the previous
text.  I run Xaccell, so then I tried the same application with an
XFree86 server, and the string does not draw at all.  On either the
DEC Ultrix server or Linux Xaccell server I ran it on both displayed
the string without wrapping.  So I'm curious whats going on.  Here's
the application.  On the XF86 server it doesn't draw the string, on
the Xaccell server it wraps the string around, and on Linux and Ultrix
it works "correctly".  Is the meaning of such a call well defined?

-josh