Date:      Tue, 8 Aug 2000 09:56:00 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@freebsd.org>
To:        Matt Heckaman <matt@ARPA.MAIL.NET>
Cc:        FreeBSD-PORTS <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD-SECURITY <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: pine 4.21 port issues?

On Tue, 8 Aug 2000, Matt Heckaman wrote:

> This is a bad thing. The default permissions on FreeBSD for /var/mail are
> root:mail 0775 which, in my opinion, is far better than 1777. I'm curious
> as to why all of the sudden it is reporting the mailbox as 'vulnerable'.

Dunno, but I agree with your conclusion that 0775 is better :-).

> I've had a ton of users of mine freak out over this, and I must admit it's
> odd. Pine aso has a new? depend on c-client4.7 which it did not have a few
> months ago to my knowledge, as I have one pine build from March 19 that
> does not have this depend or the mailbox warning.

It sounds like a spurious warning from an over-zealous developer that did
not plan for our mail delivery environment.  I haven't been using Pine
4.21, but I think this is a warning that can be safely silenced in the
port, although you probably want to get confirmation from others familiar
with the Pine iand c-client mplementations before going ahead with that.

  Robert N M Watson