Date:      Thu, 08 Aug 1996 09:19:22 -0700
From:      Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
To:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de (Joerg Wunsch)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers)
Subject:   Re: Q:Meanings of kern.securelevel values

On Thu, 8 Aug 1996 09:09:40 +0200 (MET DST)
 J Wunsch <j@uriah.heep.sax.de> wrote:

 > What other problems did you encounter in raising the securelevel,
 > except the known problem with the video frame buffer vs. Xserver
 > access through /dev/mem?  Should one expect many problems, or only
 > a few minor ones?

On some NetBSD platforms (alpha, sparc, sun3, mvme68k, at least),
installing the boot block requires simultaneous access to both the file
system and the raw device on which the file system lives.  You can't do
this at securelevel == 1.  Given that, I don't particularly like bring my
workstation at work (an ss2 running NetBSD) down into single-user mode to
install a boot block on a NetBSD/sparc boot floppy.

Anyhow, there's an example of another thing that the INSECURE option is
convenient for under NetBSD.  It's not clear to me that it would apply to
FreeBSD at all, but you asked, so... :-)

Ciao.

 -- save the ancient forests - http://www.bayarea.net/~thorpej/forest/ --