Date:      Sun, 5 Jan 2003 23:06:57 -0600
From:      Jimi Thompson <jimit@prodigy.net>
To:        Scott Robbins <scottro@nyc.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Laptops w/ FreeBSD pre-loaded (somewhat OT)

On Sunday, December 29, 2002, at 04:00  PM, Scott Robbins wrote:

> On Sun, Dec 29, 2002 at 09:28:31PM -0500, John Bleichert wrote:
>> Last year (when I wasn't in the market for a laptop) I found a
>> site/manufacturer which sold Athlon- and Pentium-based laptops with
>> Free/OpenBSD and/or Linux pre-installed. Now that I'm in the market
>> I can't find the site to save my life. Has anybody seen such a site
>> anywhere? I thought I found the site linked from freebsd.org but no
>> luck.
>
> I know Walmart sells some laptops (or is it only desktops--don't
> have time to check at this instant) with some version of Linux
> installed.
>
> If you do find out, please post the site.
> Thanks
>
> --
>
> Scott Robbins
Scott,

You would be referring to the bastardized linux thing called Lindows.
We were interested in at work for a test and horked up the $99.00.
What a waste!  Mandrake 9.0 is a better desktop distro.  It biggest
selling point is that it's running Transmeta's  CPU's and it's only
$350.00 for their "high end" device.  You'd be as well of with one of
the mail stations since you'd at least get some support if something
breaks.

I know that the Sun reps at work all carry HP laptops loaded with
Intel/Solaris.  They have told me that they normally load with disks
burned from the ISO's on their own web site (freely downloadable) with
out any problems.  This leads me to think that your odds of having unix
drivers for the device available would be rather high.

HTH,

Jimi