Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 11:14:01 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jdw@wwwi.com (Jeffrey D. Wheelhouse)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: IP bugs in FreeBSD 2.1.5

> That divergance is exactly the problem I am trying to point out.
> Already three "significant contributors" people have said that
> -stable isn't worth the trouble.  However, stable is the only choice
> for people who want a stable OS who don't have a lot of time to
> invest in sanitizing their own private -current.
>
> >So... I would rather see a 2.2R that was, perhaps, a bit rough at the
> >edges (like 2.0R) sooner rather than later.
>
> I agree.  If -stable has abandoned, it's time to look toward something
> new.  Based on the assertions that several people have made that
> "current is usually fairly stable," it seems like the benefits of
> this might far outweigh the effort, or at least the possibility is
> real enough to discuss.

I think you are missing the answer:

Stable gets to be called stable after bunches of people have tested
a release candidate.  Bunches of people are not willing to test an
interim release when something newer is available.

Stable has not been abandoned.  When current is code cut as a release
candidate and is deemed to be sufficient stable to be called stable,
then there will be a new stable.

So it comes down to:

Do you want it to be stable?

Or do you want people to make bug fixes to it, potentially rendering
it unstable?

You can't have both.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org