Date:      Tue, 14 Dec 1999 19:38:32 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Ben Rosengart <ben@skunk.org>, Bill Fumerola <billf@chc-chimes.com>, "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Speaking of moving files (Re: make world broken building fortunes )

In message <199912141832.KAA22638@apollo.backplane.com>, Matthew Dillon writes:

>    I think at one time or another all of us have missed *something* in
>    /usr that wasn't in /.  For example, disklabel -e doesn't work without
>    vi -- which is in /usr.

	EDITOR=/bin/ed
	export EDITOR
	disklabel -e

>    But if we go down that path we are going to wind up with *every* binary
>    in /usr being moved to /, which is clearly wrong.

Dogmatically, yes.   Sensibly:  I'm not so sure.

It would make more sense, considering the way FreeBSD is distributed for
/usr/local to be a mountpoint than for /usr to be a mountpoint.

/var is traditionally a mountpoint to keep the logs out of harms
way (and vice versa), but /usr never had that level of justification.

It is getting even less justifiable as time progress.  The last
sensible argument we had for it was the "load the filesystem from
the first 1024 cylinders or bust" problem.

FreeBSD -- It will take a long time before progress goes too far!