Date:      Sat, 6 Jan 2001 14:47:03 +1030
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        Matt Peterson <matt@peterson.org>
Cc:        Duncan Barclay <dmlb@dmlb.org>, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Lucent Wavelan and 4.2 works like a charm.

On Friday,  5 January 2001 at  8:42:44 -0800, Matt Peterson wrote:
> On Fri, 5 Jan 2001, Duncan Barclay wrote:
>> I do agree it's messy. There are no APs that will talk to the V4 raylink
>> cards. I don't think the firmware does infrastructure mode.
>
> Oh really, so why do people buy them? ;)

Definitely not for the performance.  They're low cost.  Add an access
point and you change the equation for the worse.

Duncan mentions the price of $100 for a pair with (apparently)
pre-802.11 firmware.  That's the price I paid here in Australia 3
months ago for cards with V4 firmware.  I would expect that you might
see them with *much* lower prices in the not too distant future.

Greg