Date:      Wed, 09 Dec 1998 18:32:13 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Christopher Masto <chris@netmonger.net>
Cc:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: buildworld and PAM and login and stuff

> Well heck, if you know that the optimization shouldn't be changed,
> then put a comment in /etc/make.conf, or better yet, have make
> buildworld check to see if CFLAGS isn't set to the "officially
> supported" value and tell the user.  I futz with my make.conf because

But it's not true for all architectures and, even so, is only ONE
example of potential abuse.

My best recommendation based on everything you've said so far can only
be to tell you simply not to mess with the contents of /etc/make.conf
or any other configuration file in /etc which you don't fully
understand.  We picked good defaults specifically so that most people
wouldn't have to mess with these files at all as a general rule, and
if they DO mess with them we expect them to know exactly what they're
doing.

- Jordan