Date:      Sat, 21 Mar 1998 10:08:07 -0300
From:      Capriotti <capriotti@geocities.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FUG- FreeBSD User Group

Dear Joey and KapuT.

Several points on what you both just said are true, but the main problem
with FreeBSD today is partialy caused by it's best part:

Centralization.

A code, once it is written, will not be included as part of FreeBSD at
once; It will first be tested - a LOT ! - and next released as alpha, beta,
and so on.

PPL don't like it, but this is the way to make Free solid as a rock, and
that's why I chose FBSD, and many ppl too.

It is never too much to mention companies like Sony Electronics and Yahoo,
that use FreeBSD, and not other comercial or free unix package.

Be patient if you can't - like myself - code a progam. Coding could be the
best way to support free, but, on the ohter hand, opening a IRC channel
would also be great, but finding ppl to sit and answer is somtimes
difficult; Why ? Simple: Hackers (I'd better call them crackers, since they
break in systems. hackers build systems. They KNOW HOW to invade them, buy
they have their ethics - as I was saing, crackers don't like FreeBSD
because of this "slow-growth" structure.

Example: FreeBSD is about to release the final and maybe stable version of
the SMP kernel. Linux has it for a long time ago.

But I heard that planing on Free's SMP was taken VERY seriosly indeed, to
avoid problems like too much overhead, crashes, etc... The rock-stable
stuff, right ?

Linux did a great job too, but I'm actually not familiar to it.

The real point is: This "slow-growth" struc is not atractive to
hackers/crackers, so they move to Linux (usually) and start coding for it.

Do you guys feel you can convince a couple of newbies or good programers to
start coding for FreeBSD ? And would them agree giving away their sources,
to the rest of the world ?

Well, if yes, you are both a great oportunity to the FReeBSD community.

If not, Let us keep on giving our opinions about the FreeBSD Home Page that
never changes, and where most of us, newbies (I myself am a two year
newbie... I'ts two years I first bought my FBSD CD, but only now I could
actually put it to work) egt lost after information.

Let us keep trying to understand those huge and cryptographic MAN pages;
They are good for those who already know how Unix - general Unix - work,
but we get much more confused when we look at them (there are exceptions
!!! Some pages are REALLY good !).

Finally, Let us - why not - start a newbie gide ! Once I tryed to do it
myself here in Brazil, but I couldn't, since my success was indeed limited.
Now a fellow - Edson Brandi - started one in portuguese, and it helped me
to put my system running; I am now starting to write my own experiences and
problems, and he is publishing them.

I believe that we could do the same here. Who among us is good at HTML, or
has a good HTML editor ?

I could translate Edson's texts, and we could start a site from somewhere !

Opinions ???

Best regards ! [May the force be with us, ppl ! I feel we can make the
difference !]