Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2001 00:50:15 +1100
From:      Edwin Groothuis <edwin@mavetju.org>
To:        Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Disabling IPv6 support for now

On Sat, Nov 24, 2001 at 09:27:34AM +0100, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> Edwin writes:
>
> > man faith gives:
> >     faith - IPv6-to-IPv4 TCP relay capturing
> > interface
>
> Whatever that is!
>
> Now I'm wondering:  Is the current "native" protocol of FreeBSD IPv4 or IPv6?
> That is, is it still primarily an IPv4 system internally, or have most kernel
> stuff and system programs been converted to IPv6?

The kernel is fully IPv4 and IPv6 supported.
The system-programs (syslogd, named, ssh(d), telnet, ping, netstat
etc etc etc) support IPv4 and IPv6.
The programs in the ports directory might, or might not, be supporting
IPv6. I've had some programs which do, some programs which don't.
Some can be found by grepping for ipv6 in the INDEX file, some are
it without having this tag. Now and then I'm happily surprised when
I use it and suddenly see them using it.

If you want to play with a "real" ipv6 interface, try the freenet6
port in /usr/ports/net/freenet6. It's pretty cool :-)

Edwin

--
Edwin Groothuis   |              Personal website: http://www.MavEtJu.org
edwin@mavetju.org |           Interested in MUDs? Visit Fatal Dimensions: