Date:      Wed, 05 Jun 1996 09:58:11 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      "Christoph P. Kukulies" <kuku@gilberto.physik.rwth-aachen.de>
To:        info@adn.edu.ph (Information Help Desk)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: command not found

> HI !!!
>
> 	Whenever I run an executable file located in the current directory
> I'm in, I always receive a 'command not found' error. I found this very
> odd since the executable file is there but it seems that the shell cannot
> find it. To remedy this problem I have to prefix any executable file I
> want to run with './' (i.e. ./bootpgw).
>
> 	Is there any other solutions for this bug (if it is)?

This isn't a bug. It's a feature. Examine your PATH. (echo $PATH).
I guess you are  logged in as superuser (root). The path to
the current directory is intentionally left out of the root user's
path (for security reasons). If you add a user to the system
e.g. via the 'adduser' command (introduced in 2.1.0-RELEASE) the
profile files (.cshrc/.login resp. .profile) are copied into the
user's home directory and contain the correct path statements.