Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 96 11:24:02 MET
From:      lehey.pad@sni.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: processes wouldn't die

> I decided to create a kernel with -g and to dump a core (break to debugger
> and panic) when such a story occurs. If I strip the obtained kernel
> (current Friday morning GMT) using strip -x as said in the handbook I get:
> checking for core dump.. savecore _dumpsize not in namelist and
> rstatd: Can't get namelist
> If I run strip with no parameter instead of strip -x I get:
> checking for core dump.. savecore _dumpdev not in namelist.
> Note that strip -d seems to work ok.

Correct.  A number of symbols referred to by programs via the nlist
system call have recently been made static, and strip -x removes them.
This will also cause problems with vmstat and iostat, and others that
I forget.

I think this is more a documentation problem than a system problem: if
you make the kernel without -g, you don't run into this problem, and
if you do use -g, strip -d does what you want.

Greg