Date:      Sat, 15 Nov 1997 10:46:04 -0500 (EST)
From:      Evan Champion <evanc@synapse.net>
To:        ac199@hwcn.org
Cc:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-bugs@hub.freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bin/5050: upgrade perl

On Sat, 15 Nov 1997, Tim Vanderhoek wrote:

> No.  This bugreport should include the proper bmake style
> makefiles, and any other changes, removals, etc. that would be
> necessary for perl5 before it goes into the main system.
>
> Same goes for the previous Tcl upgrade and bind upgrade requests
> you sent.

I just report the problem.  Am I supposed to do everything?  If I was
interested in doing that I'd get CVS update access and do it myself.

Merging tcl should just be a matter of merging the .c and .h files.  I
strongly suspect no or minimal makefile changes will be necessary.

BIND may require a bit, but not much, and that bit should be localised to
named as I can't see the resolver library structure changing much.

perl5 is a different story.  But BSDI obviously did a Berkeley makefile
for it as they include perl5 with BSD/OS 3.x, so it can't be that hard.

> Otherwise I think the pr's might as well be closed...  At least
> this one, since it is painfully obvious that we've got a rather
> old system version of Perl (although it doesn't bother me
> personally in the least :).

perl 4.036 is absolutely useless, so IMHO either ditch it and save people
download time or upgrade it.  As it is very useful to have a built-in
perl, I'd go with upgrade it.

Evan