Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 2013 15:44:31 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@freebsd.org>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   rc.d scripts to control multiple instances of the same daemon?

I'm in the process of (re)writing an rc.d script for kadmind
(security/krb5).  Unlike the main Kerberos daemon, kadmind needs to
have a separate instance for each realm on the server -- it can't
support multiple realms in a single process.  What I need to be able
to do:

1) Have different flags and pidfiles for each instance.
2) Be able to start, stop, restart, and status each individual
instance by giving its name on the command line.
3) Have all instances start/stop automatically when a specific
instance isn't specified.

I've looked around for examples of good practice to emulate, and
haven't found much.  The closest to what I want looks to be
vboxheadless, but I'm uncomfortable with the amount of mechanism from
rc.subr that it needs to reimplement.  Are there any better examples?

-GAWollman