Date:      Mon, 15 Feb 1999 22:13:38 +0100
From:      Gary Jennejohn <garyj@peedub.muc.de>
To:        Jason Scott <freepix@sirius.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Fwd: Error Message

Jason Scott writes:
>Here is a error message that is given before my server reboots.  Me and
>My ISP are unable to figure out what it means... Could you possibly tell me
>so that I may troubleshoot the problem?  I have FreeBSD 2.2.8, and Apache
>version 1.3.  Please let me know if you need anymore information.
>
>Thank You,
>Jason Scott
>

>>To: freepix@sirius.com
>>From: Account Hostmaster <dns@maxim.net>
>>Subject: Error Message
>>
>>Hello Jason,
>>
>>Here's the error message that was on your screen.  It does appear to be
>>as identical as I can remember to the other one I saw.
>>
>>Fatal trap 12: page fault while in kernel mode
>>fault virtual address		=	0X18
>>fault code				=	supervisor write, page not pres
>ent
>>instruction pointer			=	0x8: 0xf0126851
>>stack pointer				=	0x10: 0xefbffec0
>>frame pointer				=	0x10: 0xefbffee4
>>code segment				=	base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0
>x1b
>>					=	DPL0, pres1, def32 1, gran 1
>>processor eflags			=	interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL
>=0
>>current process			=	2994 (httpd)
>>interrupt mask			=
>>panic: page fault
>>
>>syncing disk . . .
>>

>>There it is, let me know what they say about it.  Thanks,

all one can conclude from this is that a NULL pointer is being dereferenced
somewhere. Just giving us addresses is totally meaningless.

We need something like output from ``nm /kernel | grep f0126 | sort'' so we
can see where the error is occurring.

I highly recommend reading the handbook section about kernel debugging.

---
Gary Jennejohn
Home - garyj@muc.de
Work - garyj@fkr.dec.com