Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 1997 11:19:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Richard Olson <rolson@ns.awanet.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't find kernel

On Fri, 17 Jan 1997, Richard Olson wrote:

> I added more physical memory so I attempted to add more swap space by
> creating another swap slice using /stand/sysinstall - disk editor.
>
> I used unused disk space and created
> 	wd1s2 swap
> and entered "write" in disk editor.

Um...Write doesn't work properly.  Also, you may not have more than one
FreeBSD slice per disk (?).  The FreeBSD bootloader may be getting
confused and trying to boot you new slice instead of the old one.

I think there is a way to convince the bootloader to boot a specific
slice, but I'm not sure offhand how.

> The screen showed a multitude of errors after the write.

It would have been better to try 'commit'ing an install without selecting
a distribution, or just doing this manually.

> Upon trying to reboot the system I got
> 	"can't find /kernel
>
> Using DOS and FDISK:
> 	D:1	Pri DOS
> 	  2  A  NON-DISK
> 	  3  A  NON-DISK
>
> Is it possible to recover (if so how?) or is now a good time to install
> the new version of FreeBSD?

It should be there.  Try deleteing the slice with just the swap on it.