Date:      Wed, 19 May 1999 09:04:05 +0100
From:      Brian Somers <brian@Awfulhak.org>
To:        "Tim Pushor" <timp@orion.ab.ca>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Number of TUN devices

> Hello,
>
> Does anyone know how man tun devices I can run in the 3.x kernels? I would
> like to run LOTS (as many as possible), so even if I had to potentially
> modify the kernel...

I've got 300 configured on my development box, and I've tested the
devices > minor 256 (to see that minor numbers with the ``hole''
work).

Unfortunately, after running ppp a couple of hundred times, the
machine was suffering a bit.  I haven't tried this since I revised
the setitimer() stuff in ppp though - so it may actually be plausible
to run 200-300 ppps, especially if it's something like ppp over udp
without compression as there are far fewer overheads.

YMMV - especially with something like nos-tun(8).

AFAIR, there was a problem in OpenBSD's version of config(8) that
stopped ``pseudo-device tun 257'' from getting things right as it
ended up overflowing the minor number and incrementing the major
number :-(  There may have been some minor (heh!) MAKEDEV problems
too.  I wouldn't be surprised if NetBSD suffered similar problems.

> Thanks,
> Tim

PS, the output of ``netstat -i'' looks silly when you've got more
than 100 devices :-/

--
Brian <brian@Awfulhak.org>                        <brian@FreeBSD.org>
      <http://www.Awfulhak.org>;                   <brian@OpenBSD.org>