Date:      Mon, 02 Aug 1999 18:58:47 -0500
From:      David Kelly <dkelly@hiwaay.net>
To:        Thomas David Rivers <rivers@dignus.com>
Cc:        bitter@noah.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Need comparative data

Thomas David Rivers writes:

> > As far as administration and support goes I think it's clear that Linux
> > has a big advantage. Many packages (like Apache and Squid) come prebuilt
> > in RPM format. Also Linux seems to have good Java support.
>
>  Those same packages come pre-built on FreeBSD as well.  Many believe
>  our `ports/packages' mechanism is much better than the RPM approach.
>
>  All you need to do is download the package and say `package_add'.

Its "pkg_add", not "package_add". And you don't have to download the
package first. If you know the url just list it on the command line.

>  With the `ports' system, all you do is download the port, which is
>  typically a makefile along with any patches needed to compile the
>  item on FreeBSD.   Then, run `make'.   The makefile will fetch
>  the original distribution, apply the patches, and build the product.

And that is even better than a prebuilt binary as it gives you the
sources pre-patched for FreeBSD use in case you want a custom version
slightly different than the distribution. Simply type "make patch", do
your thing, then "make install" to finish it off. I mention this because
there are some parameters in Apache that have to be compiled in.

I don't know if Linux has anything like CTM or cvsup (yet) for keeping
distributed source trees in sync. With CTM you can have the very latest
diffs delivered to you via email within hours. Its pretty easy to
automatically file away the incoming CTM's, and even automatically apply
them to your source tree(s). I prefer to file them away automatically
(not in my email client) but manually apply them.

Rather than subscribe to the source version of CTM or cvsup you could
get the diffs of the master CVS repository. Using your own CVS
repository you can track changes to FreeBSD. You can recreate any
version of FreeBSD since 2.0. You can mix components between -stable and
-current if you wish. When I was trying to do useful work with Linux
when asking for help one alway recited something like, "RedHat 5.2,
kernel 2.0.2, Joe's patches vers 0.32, Alan's patches 1.002" as it was a
mess with all the seemingly essential kernel patches floating around.

One final thing about Linux, you can't write a file larger than 2G
unless you want to sort thru all the different patches which hack
ext2fs into supporting files larger than 2G. But then how do you handle
lseek() and family?  :-(