Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 06:51:07 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Peter Ulrich Kruppa <root@pukruppa.de>
To:        John Bleichert <syborg@stny.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 4.5 -> 4.6 upgrade necessary?

Hi!

On Fri, 28 Jun 2002, John Bleichert wrote:
> I have a 4.5 system thats been purring along fine for a long time now.
> I've installed quite a bit from the base 4.5 ports and packages
> collection but nothing from outside of them. I'm thinking of updating
> this box and just for yucks I grabbed the 4.6 ISOs.
>
> Several of my ports and packages could use an upgrade (ssh, wm's, other
> stuff). Should I use the 'Upgrade' option in the 4.6 install? Or CVSup? Do
> I really have any reason to upgrade? I mean, it just continues to run like
> a top ... ;-) Perhaps I should just learn how to update my source tree?
In case you are running some kind of production machine you
should stay to your working system - as long as you are content
with it.

If you wish to stay up-to-date with the latest ports and apps,
you should learn how to update your sources and ports to -STABLE
- works fine for me and I don't think I am a big expert.

Regards,

Uli.