Date:      Mon, 22 May 2000 07:10:05 PDT
From:      "William Roberts" <zerohero2@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Graphical Problems with X

Hi,
    I just installed FreeBSD 3.3 on the slave HD in my gaming box (running
windows 98, the original not "special edition") and I'm having trouble
getting X to run.  I installed X using x86config from sysinstall and had to
configure my video card, a Guillemot 3D Prophet SDR (nVidia Geforce chip),
manually as best I could.  I selected the XF86_SVGA server, ignored the
chipset, and specified that I had 32768 kb of RAM.  I configured my monitor
correctly based on the manual, so this shouldn't be the problem.  When I
boot into X, I get nothing but garbled blocks of color and the odd greyish
scrambled line, and ctrl+alt+backspace doesn't work.  ctrl+alt+del works
after I've been at the screen for about 30 seconds.  I'm thinking this is a
result of misconfiguring my video card... what should I do?

Here is a little info about my system (all that should be necessary I hope):
    ADI Microscan 6P monitor - I don't think this is a problem
    MSI 6167 Motherboard, BIOS v1.3
    AMD Athlon 600 mhz CPU overclocked to 700 mhz (with a very nice peltier
cool system -- never presented any problems)
    256 MB PC133 SDRAM
    Guillemot 3D Prophet SDR Video Card

I've checked all the FAQ's, a couple books (The Complete FreeBSD and UNIX
Power Tools), and posted to several forums with no luck.  I've also tried
running XF86Setup without any luck - I got the same problem except when I
booted into windows my resolution had been decreased to 640x480 and my
refresh rate seemed pretty low.  Anyways, I'd appreciate it if you guys
could help me out in any way.  I'm still really new to UNIX, although I've
done plenty of reading and used Linux a bit -- I just figured out vi last
night, although I'd used emacs before and intent to use it with FreeBSD --
so a point to some good newsgroups and other resources would be nice too.

Thanks,
Scott Brackett
zerohero@dreadnaught.net