Date:      Mon, 18 Sep 2000 18:47:01 +0700
From:      Roger Merritt <mcrogerm@stjohn.ac.th>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   NFS

I just cvsupped from 3.2R to RELENG_3, in the process of moving to
RELENG_4, and my NFS file system, which had been working fine, now
reports, ""NFS Portmap: RPC: Program not registered".

In my rc.conf, I have:
nfs_client_enable="YES"
nfs_server_enable="YES"

and, of course, /etc/defaults/rc.conf has:
nfs_client_enable="NO"
nfs_client_flags="-n 4"
nfs_access_cache="2"
nfs_server_enable="NO"
nfs_server_flags="-u -t -n 4"
mountd_flags="-r"
nfs_reserved_port_only="NO"
rpc_lockd_enable="NO"
rpc_statd_enable="YES"
portmap_enable="YES"
portmap_program="/usr/sbin/portmap"
portmap_flags=""

The route to the server is in my hosts file, and I am able to ping it.
I don't see any devices missing from the boot-up messages in dmesg.

ps shows that portmap and nfsiod (4 processes) are running. Portmap and
nfsd: server are running on the server machine.

I don't know if it's connected, but since I cvsupped and started to
build world, I'm getting a hell of a lot of messages:
perl: warning: Setting locale failed.
        LC_ALL = (unset),
        LC_CTYPE = "iso-8859-1",
        LANG = (unset)

Any suggestions about what I should look at next would be appreciated.
--
Roger