Date:      20 Mar 1998 12:23:15 -0500
From:      Chris Shenton <cshenton@it.hq.nasa.gov>
To:        "J.R.S. II" <jrs@Mcs.Net>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: remote access solutions-little more info

"J.R.S. II" <jrs@Mcs.Net> writes:

> Excuse the ignorance but this is the first time I'm going to attempt to do
> this.  If i do go with a pm2 or pm3 is there any other equipment i will
> need that i should budget for??

Depends on what you want to do. PM2 talks to normal analog modems so
you'll need those. PM3 and Ascend Max have internal digital
modems. Both can do authentication against an internal database, but
are usually configured to query a networked RADIUS server. So you'll
need a box, or you can run RADIUS on an existing box.

If you want to run an ISP, you'll need DNS, web, ftp srvers, etc. Lots
of possibilities depending on what you're after.

I really like the O'Reilly book "Getting Connected to the Internet at
56K and Up". It covers lots of topics for the budding ISP.