Date:      Wed, 16 Feb 2000 17:15:00 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.ca>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Perc 2/SC problems (aka MegaRAID 466)

> Hi,
> 	I have been trying to get a PERC 2 (aka MegaRAID 466) working with
> Current.  The box worked fine with the 428, but seems to barf with only the
> controller swapped.

I don't think the two controllers share on-disk configuration formats;
you'll probably need to re-initialise the array (I could be wrong about
that).

> newmail# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ramrd0 bs=1k count=1
> 1+0 records in
> 1+0 records out
> 1024 bytes transferred in 0.000446 secs (2295546 bytes/sec)
> newmail# !fd
> fdisk amrd0
> ******* Working on device /dev/ramrd0 *******
> parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
> cylinders=2217 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)
>
> Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
> parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
> cylinders=2217 heads=255 sectors/track=63 (16065 blks/cyl)
>
> fdisk: invalid fdisk partition table found
> Media sector size is 512
> Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
> Information from DOS bootblock is:
> The data for partition 1 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 2 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 3 is:
> <UNUSED>
> The data for partition 4 is:
> sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
>     start 1, size 35616104 (17390 Meg), flag 80 (active)
>         beg: cyl 0/ sector 2/ head 0;
>         end: cyl 168/ sector 63/ head 254
> newmail# disklabel -Brw amrd0 auto

You probably don't want to do that with a valid slice table installed;
the slice code does silly things.  Try nuking it first:

# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/amrd0 count=16

> This is using the BIOS from Dell.  Should I be trying the latest and
> greatest directly from AMI ?  There is a warning from them however saying
> not to use the AMI version with OEM cards.  Should I try it anyways ?

This isn't a BIOS issue, as far as I can tell.