Date:      Thu, 16 May 2002 14:54:26 -0700
From:      "DiCioccio, Jason" <jdicioccio@epylon.com>
To:        'Jesper Wallin' <z3l3zt@phucking.kicks-ass.org>, security@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: How secure is a password and how many characters does it allo w?

The limit actually appears to be 8, and it appears to be a limitation
of crypt()..  I did a few tests.  These are from within ruby, however
it uses crypt(), so it should be accurate.

irb(main):001:0> "aaaaaaaaaa".crypt('aa')
"aakcR08PK3l1o"
irb(main):002:0> "aaaaaaaaaa".crypt('aa')
"aakcR08PK3l1o"
irb(main):003:0> "aaaaaaaaaaa".crypt('aa')
"aakcR08PK3l1o"
irb(main):004:0> "aaaaaaaaaaaa".crypt('aa')
"aakcR08PK3l1o"
irb(main):005:0> "aaaaaaaaa".crypt('aa')
"aakcR08PK3l1o"
irb(main):006:0> "aaaaaaaa".crypt('aa')
"aakcR08PK3l1o"
irb(main):007:0> "aaaaaaa".crypt('aa')
"aaJFn5Xsal0nQ"

Looking at pam_unix though it will accept a password up to 128
characters.  I think the limitation is coming from crypt().  Does
anyone know if this is specific to 1 type of encryption (DES in this
case), or is this true for md5, des, and blowfish when crypt() is used?

Cheers,
- -JD-