Date:      Tue, 2 Jul 1996 11:46:42 -0700 (MST)
From:      Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
To:        jimd@mistery.mcafee.com (Jim Dennis)
Cc:        dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu, e9203125@pegasus.cpd.unb.br, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netware & Free

> 		Linux -- look for 'ncpfs' (free) or get the Caldera
> 		   CND (Network Desktop) distribution which includes
> 		   bindery and NDS client support.  The key developers
> 		   at Caldera were engineers in the advanced research
> 		   group at Novell before Ray Noorda left them.  They have
> 		   lots of info about the inner workings of NCP (netware core
> 		   protocols) and the licenses to use that knowlege in
> 		   Caldera's products.  Caldera's team also contributed some
> 		   of the IPX code back to the Linux community (in the spirit
> 		   of the GPL under which they're using it)

Specifically, Brian Sparks, Gary Tomlinson, and Ted Cowan were the
engineers on the original NUC (NetWare UNIX Client) product, and
Brian Sparks and Drew Spencer (and I forget) were the engineers on the
original PNW (Portable NetWare) product, which was later renamed to
NWU (NetWare for UNIX).  Brian Sparks is the founding father of Caldera,
formerly the Novell "Corsair" project.  It's been more than a year,
so I think this qualifies as "history".  Everybody else is still with
Novell (or USL).

NB: Contrary to what Steve Jobs says in his video, Novell came to him,
he didn't come to Novell.  NUC was the idea of a small number of very
brilliant people at Novell, and not just the three lead engineers on
the NUC code proper; it was developed on NeXT machines, but they had
to go so far as to write their own streams to get it to work.

Unless there was seperate licensing (which I don't think there was,
since they are using bindery instead of directory services technology),
their server requires that you copy files to it from a licensed Novell
server before it is usable, since they don't have their own copies of
slist/nlist/login/etc..  In all likelihood, they are probably at the
NetWare 3.x level, and probably an abbreviated 3.x for all of that...
Novell has a long history of grandfathering interfaces and a reluctance
to throw out old technology (like some core teams we know.. ;-)).  It
would take an "act of God" to implement a full server because of the
backward compatability issues back to NetWare 1.x.

> 	I've got some people upstairs using ncpfs with
> 	moderate success (some complain that the performance seems lacking
> 	and they sometimes experience "glitches" -- but for convenient
> 	interactive use it seems to fill the bill (I just wouldn't try to
> 	use it in mission and time critical applications yet).

I've looked at the NCPFS code.  It is nowhere *near* the level of
the NUC code (which I code reviewed before leaving Novell) after
Steve Baumel (the SVR4.2 SMP VM designer) had gotton done with it.
I estimate it would take 3-5 man years to get it to that level
(unless they threw someone at it who had experience with serious
kernel multithreading issues and FS design issues; I'd probably
be "contaminated", unless Brian Sparks isn't -- in which case it
would take about 1 man year; I could name 3 or 4 other people with
enough familiarity with the NUC code where it might even take less
time than that).

>	One of
> 	my boxes runs Caldera.  I've never had the slightest problem
> 	with access Netware file servers under it.  I havent' tried any
> 	things special yet (re-exporting the mounted NCP directory via
> 	NFS for example)

Don't *ever* do this.  You think NFS distributed cache coherency
(basically, timer-based) is bad, you haven't seen anything yet.  If
this is an allowed configuration, it is an error in judgement on
the part of Caldera.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org