Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 17:16:36 -0500
From:      Peter Radcliffe <pir@pir.net>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Updating ssh

Jay Keller <jaykeller4@hotmail.com> probably said:
> I'm trying to update the ssh that is part of the base of 4.4. The latest
> version (after updating using cvs RELENG_4) is openssh-2.9 shown with
> /usr/bin/ssh -V. Openssh 3.0.x is available via ports or packages and is set
> to be installed to /usr/local/whatever.  What is the correct way to update
> ssh?  Do I go through and delete all of the original ssh files in /usr/bin,
> /etc, the man pages, and so on and then just install the version 3x package?
> Or should I use the port and somehow change the install dir to something to
> match the original or just use /usr/local?

Personally I download the latest portable openssh (I'm running 3.0.1
right now) and configure it with;

./configure --with-tcp-wrappers \
       --with-default-path=/bin:/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin \
       --disable-suid-ssh --with-pam --with-pid-dir=/var/run \
       --sysconfdir=/etc/ssh --prefix=/usr \
       --with-xauth=/usr/X11R6/bin/xauth

and it replaces the installed version with no problems for me.

HOWEVER there are some of the features that the properly integrated
openssh provides which the portable configured in this way will not
(things like Kerberos support, if I am not mistaken). I don't use any
of these features so don't have any issues with this ...

P.

--
pir                pir-sig@pir.net                 pir-sig@net.tufts.edu