Date:      Tue, 24 Nov 1998 20:58:12 +0100
From:      Rob Schofield <schofiel@xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SV: puh!(PC hardware)

Stefan Lindgren wrote:

> Hi again.
>
> Just remvoved the second CPU. Works like a charm.:-(
>
> Any ideas?(blown CPU?)
> Some special, hidden APIC I/O config?

Different stepping of each CPU, rather than the same?

And before everyone says "Old wives's tale", I have just had recent (and
*very expensive*) experience that this needs to be the case - the same
stepping, that is. Under NT I was getting blue screens and all sorts of
weird stuff; under FBSD I was getting failure to shutdown, corrupted
disks, downright disobedience at the command line, "freezes" in X, and
other weirdness. Both processors changed for the same stepping, and
*ping* (magic wand noise) all fixed....

Rob Schofield
--
The Ninety-Ninety Rule of Project Scheduling:

The first ninety percent of the job takes ninety percent of the
allotted time, the last ten percent takes the other ninety percent.