Date:      Mon, 13 May 2002 19:25:31 +0100
From:      Ian Dowse <iedowse@maths.tcd.ie>
To:        Neil Bliss <nbliss@mvista.com>
Cc:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: conf/30441: Can't set interface arguments for dhcp configured interfaces

In message <20020513091319.G7743@dhcp117.mvista.com>, Neil Bliss writes:
>Actually, it's not anything to do with the dhcp client.  What you're needing to
>be able to do here is to be able to pass any additional ifconfig arguments that
>the card will need to be able to be used.  In my particular case, I'm using a
>wireless ethernet card, and I need to give it the correct ssid for it to get
>signal at ifconfig time.  With the current setup, if I'd like this interface to
>use dhcp, then that's the *only* thing you can tell rc.network about this card.

dhclient.conf is actually a much more useful place to put such
commands, because dhclient can automatically cycle through different
combinations of ifconfig settings, picking the first one on which
it successfully gets a lease (thanks to Kurt Lidl for pointing this
out to me a while ago). For example, I use something like this:

	interface "wi0" {
		media
			"wepmode on wepkey 0x0000000000",
			"wepmode on wepkey 0x1111111111",
			"wepmode off";
	}

You can list the settings for any networks you use, and then plugging
in the card just works where ever you are.

Ian