Date:      Tue, 5 Mar 1996 20:07:01 +0100
From:      se@zpr.uni-koeln.de (Stefan Esser)
To:        Martin Ostermann <ost@comnets.rwth-aachen.de>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Installation Problem: "No disks found!"

On Mar 5, 17:45, Martin Ostermann wrote:
} Subject: Installation Problem: "No disks found!"
} Hi,

Hallo Martin,

} I just tried to install Release 2.1 on an Asus-P55TP4XE board with
} Asus-SC200 controller, with two HP-SureStore C3724S SCSI disc drives
} attached. Unfortunately, any time the disk partitioning section within
} the install program was reached, I got the message "No disks found!
} Check ..."

I have heard of problems caused by those
HP drives before. I guess it is best to
diagnose this on the phone. (You can call
me at the phone number from my signature,
and I don't mind being called after 21:00).

} However, the two disks as well as the scsi cdrom are recognized by the
} kernel when booting. They also work with other OS's.
}
} I have not found any clues in the hardware guide. BTW, I also browsed
} the mailing-list archives on www.freebsd.org, but I only found
} questions (concerning this topic), no answers. Is this correct?

There have been reports of problems with
multiple tagged START UNIT commands being
sent to the drive. But we better talk about
this on the phone, since I never heard of a
failure to install to those drives. (The
existing problem can be worked around, but
it will most likely be cured by a change
to the generic SCSI code.)

Gruss, STefan
--
 Stefan Esser, Zentrum fuer Paralleles Rechnen		Tel:	+49 221 4706021
 Universitaet zu Koeln, Weyertal 80, 50931 Koeln	FAX:	+49 221 4705160