Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 22:21:38 -0700
From:      "Kevin Stevens" <kevin_stevens@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Device permissions problems after 4.5 >> 4.6 upgrade

Hello -

I upgraded my 4.5 system to 4.6 last week by DLing the floppy images,
booting from them, and doing an FTP upgrade.  All seemed ok, however, I'm
now discovering problems with access permissions, particularly in the /dev
directory.  For example, /dev/null  and /dev/urandom were owned by
root:wheel, with crw------ permissions, which buggered up ssh and a variety
of other things.

I'm chasing these one at a time as I find them, which is unlikely to get me
to a solid stable system anytime soon, especially because I don't know what
the permissions should necessarily BE for all the devices.  I know under
Solaris there are security utilities you can run that will check/fix all the
file permissions in the system directories.  Is there anything similar for
FreeBSD, or any other suggestions on how to remedy this problem?

Thanks!

KeS

                                               KeS