Date:      Tue, 25 Jun 1996 16:41:10 +1000
From:      Danny Smith <danny@auscert.org.au>
To:        guido@gvr.win.tue.nl (Guido van Rooij)
Cc:        danny@auscert.org.au (Danny Smith), jkh@time.cdrom.com, hackers@freebsd.org, security@freebsd.org, ache@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: No comment character in hosts.equiv

Guido van Rooij writes:

> Danny Smith wrote:
> -- Start of PGP encoded section.
> > (Note the change of subject line!)
> >
> > "Jordan K. Hubbard" writes:
> >
> > > Hmmm.  We have reason to believe that he *didn't* get root (though
> > > we're still assuming he did, just to be paranoid) and if the mod times
> > > can be trusted, hosts.equiv hasn't been touched in many months (and
> > > localhost is commented out).
> >   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> >
> > There is no comment character in either the hosts.equiv file or the
> > .rhosts file.  Use of this may allow someone to spoof DNS and gained
> > trusted access.
> >
> > Check out the code relating to calls to ruserok().
>
> Wrong. FreeBSD has a comment char. Put in before the release of 2.1.0.
> Look in usr/src/lib/libc/net/rcmd.c in __ivaliduser.

OK, I verified this on our 2.0.5 test system before mailing.  Looks like I
may have been hit by the "checking the previous version" problem.

I haven't checked a 2.1.0 system, but will try and get to it tomorrow.

Danny Smith.

 Danny Smith                      |  Fax:    +61 7 3365 4477
 AUSCERT                          |  Phone:  +61 7 3365 4417
 c/- Prentice Centre              |  (answered during business hours)
 The University of Queensland     |  (on call after hours for emergencies)
 Qld.  4072.  Australia           |  Internet:  auscert@auscert.org.au