Date:      Mon, 2 Mar 1998 13:21:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Christopher W Ramsay <cramsay@top.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD, boot-up and SCSI.

On Sat, 28 Feb 1998, Christopher W Ramsay wrote:

>         First I would like to thank Doug White (dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu)
> and Greg Lehey (grog@lemis.com) for the problem I was having with my mail
> reader.

You're welcome!

Let me get to the guts of this:

>  From what documentation I've been reading, I get the impression that
> there are two ways of controlling my SCSI drive.  Either through the
> bios level or the DOS level.  When FreeBSD reformatted the SCSI drive,
> erasing the existing DOS format, my existing DOS system lost the ability
> of contacting the G drive.  Even something as simple as, format g:, will
> not work.

This is because FreeBSD uses it's own slice type and filesystem that is
not compatable with DOS.  If you want to bring it back you'll have to
delete the existing slice with FDISK and create a new DOS partition there.

If FreeBSD sees your SCSi controller, which it appears to, you are in good
shape.

Sounds like you're all set to go.  Anything else?

>         I'm kind of a hobbyist.  In fact my case is nothing more than an AT
> case hack-sawed out and ground down with a drill to accept the ATX style.

You hope you didn't cut any traces in the layers inside the board, eh? :)