Date:      Tue, 5 Sep 2000 17:40:44 -0700
From:      Greg Rumple <grumple@zaphon.llamas.net>
To:        Brad Knowles <blk@skynet.be>
Cc:        Vivek Khera <khera@kciLink.com>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: affordable wireless

* Brad Knowles (blk@skynet.be) [000905 10:02]:
> At 8:39 PM -0400 2000/9/4, Vivek Khera wrote:
>
> >  The AirPort base station contians within it a "silver" wavelan PCMCIA
> >  card.  The regular wavelan cards you buy work well with it.
>
> 	I'm using this solution myself.  In fact, I replaced the WaveLAN
> card in the AirPort with a WaveLAN Gold (so that I can do 128-bit
> encryption), and kept the WaveLAN Silver as backup.
>
> >  I happen to have a Mac around to configure it, but I understand that
> >  the Karlbridge software for Windoze will configure it as well (except
> >  for some features such as the modem dialout).
>
> 	I downloaded the Karlbridge software and installed it on my
> wife's PC laptop, and tried to use it to configure the AirPort.  I
> could not get this to work properly, so for the moment we're actually
> running without encryption (the Karlbridge software is supposedly
> able to allow you to change how the password is stored, because Apple
> uses a hash of the password on the AirPort and in the Mac client, but
> everyone else in the world uses the raw password itself).

Use the java based configurator on this web site to configure it with.
I have used this tool under FreeBSD just fine.

http://edge.mcs.drexel.edu/GICL/people/sevy/airport/

I think I am using the linux-jdk for it, but it works none the less, and
allows you to configure your base station from any OS.  I have my
basestation in bridging mode, and have yet to have a single problem with
it (it's got an uptime of about 70 days right now).

Greg

--
Greg Rumple
grumple@zaphon.llamas.net