Date:      Wed, 9 Dec 1998 22:06:25 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John W. DeBoskey" <jwd@unx.sas.com>
To:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Nit: Just what should objdir be?

Hi folks,

   I was bitten by a surprise case of 'which objdir are you using?'

   Pick a program, let's say sed... :-)  Hi archie!

   cd /usr/src/usr.bin/sed && make

   The objects are put into /usr/obj/usr/src/usr.bin/sed.

   But wait, not all the objects rebuilt, and the linker is
complaining about unrecognized file formats! Well, the default
object tree was never cleaned out when the aout-elf conversion
took place.

   Well, I blew the tree away, and now objects are getting written
into the src dir. What I really want is the default to be
/usr/obj/elf/usr/...  (those do happen to be the objects linked
into my live system you know), or /usr/obj/aout/usr/... if the
current objformat is aout...

   So the question is:

   Should we update make to have the default objdir match the
objformat that is currently set?

   Should we leave /usr/obj/usr alone? (I don't like this).

   Of course, maybe this is already fixed and I missed a config
file update or something... :-)

   comments, critiques, and stupid user invectives are most welcome!

Thanks!
John