Date:      Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:21:56 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
To:        Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: malloc failed?

>> lambic:/a % xanim middle.qt
>> XAnim Rev 2.70.6.4 by Mark Podlipec (c) 1991-1997
>> QT rle: malloc failed
>> lambic:/a %

Tom replied:

>  Actually, if you remove login.conf, you get the defaults, which are
>pretty small.  It is better to use login.conf to set things to infinity.
>
>  Also, back in 2.1, I ran into a problem where the max data size could
>not be increased greater than physical memory.  I wonder if this could
>your problem too.

Well, that's not my problem, I only have 80MB of physical memory.  (I have
240MB of swap, so I surmise that's not the problem either.)

I guess I'm going to have to puzzle out what login.conf is doing and see
if I can disable some of the limits in there, if in fact this is what's
causing my problems.  My workstation here is a single-user box, and I'm a
memory hog.  I don't see the added value of login.conf for those of us who
aren't running ISP's or large servers or ...

Thanks for the hint though.  I dutifully put 'login.conf' back where I
found it.  :-)

Thanks to Justin who surmised I needed to use '+f' to get around this.

Brian