Date:      Fri, 28 Jun 2002 17:38:53 +1200
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>
To:        Blake Swensen <blake@pyramus.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD List <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Upgrade again...

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 04:21:51PM -0700, Blake Swensen wrote:
> OK... I have followed the directions in the handbook, and read the
> entire chapter on upgrading in 'FreeBSD Unleashed'.
>
> I have been running FreeBSD from version 1.0 and have upgraded machines
> successfully from one branch to another... I have never run into this
> issue before.
>
> The machine in question is running 3.5-RELEASE on an AMD 800mhz with
> 256MB RAM, Adaptec 2940, and 82c169 PNIC 10/100BaseTX. It has an uptime
> of over 120 days.
>
> I have CVSed and CVSUPed RELENG_4, RELENG_4_5 and RELEG_4_5_RELEASE.  I
> have double-checked /etc/make.conf and have cleaned /usr/obj.  Despite
> all of this I still get the same error during make build (as detailed
> below).

Personally, I've always encountered some show-stopper when jumping a
major version. What I usually do when upgrading a major release is to
install a minimal binary version of the new major version, and then cvsup
to -stable, then try to merge the old /etc to the new /etc.

Cheers.
--
Jonathan Chen <jonc@chen.org.nz>