Date:      Thu, 20 May 1999 12:49:02 +0200
From:      Gunnar Flygt <gunnar@pluto.sr.se>
To:        "Oelbaum, Ralph X." <RXO4201@pharmerica.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: xwindows

On Wed, May 19, 1999 at 12:41:49PM -0400, Oelbaum, Ralph X. wrote:
> I have just installed 3.x of freebsd and I am trying to set up xwindows.
> I added all the xfree86 packages but when I want to change to fvwm95 or
> any other desktop I can't seem to do so. What am I doing wrong?

I assume that you got xfree86 up and running, but with the somewhat ugly
twm window manager. You have to tell xfree86 which windowmanager you
want to use. Start with copying /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xinit/xinitrc to your
$HOME/.xinitrc Then edit the file .xinitrc. In the end of it there are
some xterm's started and twm also. Comment these out and put in fvwm96
instead. (But if you want some nicer window managers, look at
windowmaker and the latest afterstep! !!No `my windowmaker is better
than yours` war intended. I just thinks that fvwm95 is as boring as M$
products.)

--
                           __o
regards, Gunnar       ---_ \<,_