Date:      Thu, 08 Apr 1999 11:18:41 +0100
From:      webmaster@primenetwork.net (Prime Internet Network)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Can't Spawn Child Process

I am running FreeBSD 2.2.6 and I am having this problem all the time.

'Error - server couldn't spawn child process' in my apache logs.

Then sure enough I check to see if CGI's are working and they are all dead.

The server is a high load web hosting machine and has 256MB of RAM, the
processor load is only ever at 2-3%.

IS there anyplace special that I need to look at or modify to make this
thing handle more processes without quiting on me.

One small note to this problem...  When I stop and then restart the Apache
server the problem will go away for about 20 minutes and then come back.
It doesn't seem to effect anything on the system but the running of CGI
processes.