Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 22:35:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Kozubik <john@kozubik.com>
To:        Brian Astill <bastill@sa.apana.org.au>
Cc:        "Greg 'groggy' Lehey" <grog@lemis.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: microuptime

Hello,

You can see all of your existing sysctl variables by executing this
command:

`sysctl -a | more`

Further, you can set a specific sysctl variable with a command like this:

`sysctl -w kern.timecounter.method=1`

The appropriate place to set a sysctl variable so that it occurs
every time you boot your system is /etc/sysctl.conf - simply
enter one sysctl per line, in the format of:

kern.timecounter.method=1
kern.timecounter.hardware=TSC

and so on.  By placing these definitions in /etc/sysctl.conf, not only
do you ensure that they will be set every time you boot your system, but
further you ensure that they are set early on during the boot process -
just as the system goes into multi-user mode.  This is important because
the desired results of some sysctl tunings will not be achieved unless
their setting precedes other events that occur during system boot.

-----
John Kozubik - john@kozubik.com - http://www.kozubik.com