Date:      Mon, 13 Jul 1998 10:56:12 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>
To:        NetWizKid@aol.com
Cc:        russ_husain@yahoo.com, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: Does FreeBSD CDROM contain all the Apps and Ports ?

On 13-Jul-98 NetWizKid@aol.com wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to switch over to FreeBSD from Linux, so far I've been impressed
> with the performance reviews on FreeBSD.  The only thing odd to me is that
> the
> CD ROM I got along with a unix administration book didn't contain
> applications
> or ports, just the bare minimum kernel and some utilities.

Which version did you install ?
Every CD-set i got so far included several ports and packages on CD (except
those that are export-restricted by US-law). Did you look on the other
CDs you got for ports and packages.
Generally while installing you have the option to install the ports-collection.
It lives in /usr/ports
You can then "cd /usr/ports/x11/enlightenment" or whereever you want to
and just type "make install" and the appropriate port will be compiled
and installed on your system. When the needed files are not on your system
or the mounted CD, it will be fetched over the net from the appropriate place.
IIRC there are nearly 2000 ports for now and the ports collection is growing
every single day.

> When you install Red Hat off of the CD it installs hundered's of applications
> including Netscape, Pine, Pico, SAMBA, mSQL, PERL, APACHE, firewalls etc.

Yes and you'll end with hundreds of apps you never need and you don't know
off. In FreeBSD you choose what to add to your system on your own and
type "make install".

> We can make this wonderful operating system, FreeBSD,  give windows NT run
> for
> its money, performance and make it a candidate for a corporate or business
> level OS.  As much as I hate Microsoft I also believe that they got to the
> point where they are not by magic but simply copying others and taking into
> account what a typical end user would want from his PC and OS.  We can do
> that
> too, right ?

"typical end user" ??? Define please.
I know a guy selling computers. You would expect this guy should have some
knowledge about computers and software and OS and whatnot. ERR ... he didn't
know what ppp is, how WWW and email differ, how to connect to his provider,
what search-engines are, what an OS is, ... But this guy was successfully
selling systems with Win-95/NT preinstalled. Now what would you expect from
a typical Win-95-user ??? When i showed him X11 with windowmaker ;) on my
FreeBSD he was fascinated ("Uh oh ... looks great ... and you can really
execute all that commands at the same time ... I want it ... is there a
german version ---> booom")

> A few suggestions :
> The installation procedure could be made a little simpler, I still haven't
> been able to configure my NIC.

What were your problems ?

> Installation should install most of the commonly used application by default.

No really NOT. I don't want to have a system with all the there-may-come-a-
time-when-you'll-need-this-application-POLLUTION. I am controlling my system
on my own and i know what i have installed and when doing so i had a real
need for such an installation.

> More books on FreeBSD + technical support + more marketing (these are
> extremely important).

You are welcome. Remember, this is a volunteer-project. If you think there
is need for another book, fine write one. If you think the technical support
is bad, suggest a better concept on THIS list. We are doing all the support
on this list in our free time and nobody gets paid for it.
If you think we need more marketing (we all here think so) go out and make
some advertisement for FreeBSD or fund some money to FreeBSD Inc. for
marketing. Yes these are all extremely important and there were some
discussions about improvements in the last weeks (have a look in the mail-
archives).

FreeBSD-current (to be FreeBSD-3.0). Just get it from www.freebsd.org

> support for GB's of RAM etc.

Where's the problem ?

> Support for windows, network printers, novell, etc to co-exist with other
> OSes
> already in use by businesses.

What's wrong with samba and the IPX-support in ports ?
Have a look into the handbook for multi-boot-options.

> Built in Fault tolerance like NT, Raid 1 and Raid 5.

Software ? Have a look into ports and "man ccd".
Hardware ? Have a look at HARDWARE.TXT

> A detailed HCL (hardware compatibility list).

Have a look at HARDWARE.TXT AND ---> you <--- are welcome.

> This OS has a lot of potential, educate people about it by holding seminars
> and offering classes,

If you design the sheets, i'll hold a seminar.

> certifications,

What good should it give ? Think about it. Why should you want something
to be certified to run on FreeBSD ? If your code is well written, it will
run with or without certification. Why do you think M$ needs a certification
system ? Yes, certification brings money for M$ and there is so much software
for Win-9[58]/NT that may crash their OS so they need a certification-system
for blaming the developers.

> bundling with high end PCs,

Have a look at DOJ. It is nearly impossible to get a hardware system without
Win-9[58]/NT preinstalled.

> partnershiping with hardware manufacturers and somehow providing support for
> the new plug & play equipment may be by reusing NT drivers and converting
> them
> on the fly for BSD kernel, like a transparent utility or something.  It'll
> take time to get to that point but hey better late than never.

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I don't want ANY Win-NT driver to run and muck and f*ck in my nice stable
FreeBSD-system.

> OK, now my question:
> I was wondering if there is a CD I can buy which contains all of the apps and
> ports available from your ftp site.  The other question was, in the ports
> section it says that you can download all of the ports and the size is only
> 4MB, is it just the list of all the ports or it a reaaally compressed file
> which contains all the sources for the listed ports ?

See above and the ports-collection is just a directory-tree with many
Makefiles and patch-files. While installing you definately had the option
of installing the ports-collection. You can also get it online from
www.freebsd.org. Have a look at the ports-distribution-directory.
Generally the directory-tree is compressed and tar'ed and will just be
uncompressed and untar'ed into /usr/ports

> Keep up the good work, I apprecaite that you took the time to read.  I just
> don't want UNIX to wipe out off of the industry it is losing its share in the
> market to NT and only people like you can do something about it.

AND ---> YOU <---

>  I can only
> hope and offer my suggestions.

Hope doesn't help much.
Your suggestions are welcome.
Now move your ass and work with us for free so your hope may fulfill.

Malte.

E-Mail: Malte Lance <malte@webmore.com>