Date:      Sun, 7 Mar 2004 03:43:45 +0100
From:      Peter Hollaubek <fifteen@inext.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: linux-opera with anti-alias

On Sat, Mar 06, 2004 at 08:03:09PM -0500, Jud wrote:
> On Sat, 6 Mar 2004 14:40:17 +0100, Peter Hollaubek <fifteen@inext.hu>
> wrote:
>
> >Has anyone succeeded to use the linux-opera port with anti-aliased fonts?
> >During installation it says the WITH_XFT2 variable should be set to
> >enable
> >aa fonts, and it does install the additional linux packages, though the
> >fonts are rendered as usual. I've also tried setting the QT_XFT variable
> >with
> >no effect.
>
> Opera uses an older method of anti-aliasing which involves use of an
> XftConfig file.  Though the document at the URL below describes a NetBSD
> setup, it will work on FreeBSD, and Linux-Opera will be able to display
> anti-aliased fonts if they are selected in fonts preferences.  I find the
> Bitstream Vera fonts give a very nice appearance.

> HTH,
>
> Jud

Thanks for the reply. Though the solution was not the one You've mentioned,
I've found the real one on freebsdforums.org. Just for the archive:

Fontconfig uses a configuration file named fonts.conf, xft loads fonts
according to this file. Though the configuration was good for native
application (for they have a differend version installed with the native
port in /usr/X11R6/etc/fonts/fonts.conf), the emulated opera found another
one like /usr/compat/etc/fonts/fonts.conf. You only have to symlink the native
to the other one, and everything's OK. Maybe this should be done by the linux
port automatically.

Peter