Date:      Mon, 6 Apr 1998 18:18:16 -0700
From:      "Michael P. Sale" <mike@merchantsnet.com>
To:        "Sue Blake" <sue@welearn.com.au>
Cc:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mounting floppy file systems

-----Original Message-----
From: Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To: Michael P. Sale <mike@merchantsnet.com>
Cc: freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Monday, April 06, 1998 5:43 PM

>On Mon, Apr 06, 1998 at 05:24:12PM -0700, Michael P. Sale wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I've been sort of lurking in the background here (as I seem to do with
most
>> newsgroups), but as a newbie ran into something semi-annoying today.
While
>> trying to mount my floppy (following instructions on "the complete
freebsd"
>> pg 211) I ran into all sorts of fun with that darn /A.  After buying a
>> little sense, I did some searching and came up with the /mnt instead.
Works
>> just fine now, though I'm still searching for how to get the /A set up as
>> well..
>
>We're not getting the full picture yet. Is it a DOS formatted floppy? Have
>you told /etc/fstab to expect one of those when mounting /A or not? Does
the
>/A directory exist? Exactly what command are you using to mount the floppy?

Sue,

That's one thing I like about the newbies list.  I was fairly certain I
would have at least one response!

/A does not show up in /etc/fstab. I suspected that I needed it in there,
but thought that was a question more for RTFM or the questions list.  (I'm
still not sure how to do it) It has however been noted by myself that
questions had best be reserved for the questions list. :-]

If I format the floppy with freebsd I use the mount /dev/fd0 /mnt command.

With a win95/DOS disk I use the mount -t msdos /dev/fd0 /mnt command.

Both seem to work just fine, though I went searching through the archives to
find the mount -t msdos command.  Up until then, I had a heck of a time
figuring out how to get the file systems working right.

>> Was I jettin along too fast at the beginning of the book, possibly
missing
>> the part that told me why /A should work later?  Is this worth asking to
get
>> put in as Errata later?  I kinda figured that it must be somewhere else
in
>> the book, or else it would have made it into the first errata.
>
>You shouldn't still be using the first errata. Check inside the first page
>and pick up the current one. Additions are always well received.

The point I now realize I am trying to make is "how intuitive is it for the
newbie user to figure the /A out before he/she gets to that page?"  If I'm
just a goof (possible) and it is fairly simple and I missed it earlier in
the docs, then it can be forgotten about.

If getting to the /A requires new questions and searching upon getting to
page 211 (I went there pretty quickly because it was the "floppy disks"
chapter), then I think it would be nice to have a little blurb that says
"hey you goof, if you are getting xxxx error when trying to mount the
floppy, please try mount /dev/fd0 /mnt and reference page xx for details on
how to get /A set up correctly in your /etc/fstab file".

This was why I thought it may be a decent "newbies" topic.  I doubt too many
Unix guru's have too much trouble mounting floppies or figuring out how to
modify the /etc/fstab file.

I am currently using the 21 March errata.  Sorry for the mis-information.

>--
>
>Regards,
>        -*Sue*-
>
>find / -name "*.conf" |more

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message

Thanks again,

Mike

Michael P. Sale
MerchantsNet.Com