Date:      Wed, 10 Oct 2001 05:50:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
To:        freebsd-bugs@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/31135: /bin/df reporting 'NaNB' as a Size.

The following reply was made to PR bin/31135; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Josef Karthauser <joe@tao.org.uk>
To: cjclark@alum.mit.edu
Cc: FreeBSD-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.ORG
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:49:08 +0100

 --1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

 On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 01:23:50AM -0700, Crist J. Clark wrote:
 > On Mon, Oct 08, 2001 at 01:06:27PM +0100, Joe Karthauser wrote:
 > > 	I've just had the strangest output from 'df':
 > >=20
 > > 	% while test /tmp; do df -h /data; sleep 5; done
 > > 	[cut]
 > > 	Filesystem     Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
 > > 	/dev/ad0s2h     10G   9.5G    72M    99%    /data
 > > 	Filesystem     Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
 > > 	/dev/ad0s2h    NaNB   9.5G    69M    99%    /data
 > > 	               ^^^^
 > > 	Filesystem     Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
 > > 	/dev/ad0s2h     10G   9.5G    72M    99%    /data
 > > 	[cut]
 >=20
 > Can you reproduce this? Looking through src/bin/df/df.c, I can't see
 > what type of exceptional condition could sneak through. There are some
 > checks for "impossible" conditions. It's hard to see how the 'size'
 > can be messed up and yet the 'used' is OK since 'size' is used to
 > calculate 'used.' And obviously, the size of your file system is not
 > changing between df(1) runs.

 No I can't.  I did a:

 while true; df -h /data  | grep -i nan; done

 for several hours but didn't see anything.   Wierd isn't it?

 I definitely didn't dream this up though; the example above is cut and
 pasted from the console.

 Joe

 --1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7

 --1yeeQ81UyVL57Vl7--