Date:      Sun, 11 Sep 2011 08:10:38 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6727@bellsouth.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Subject:   Re: get rel 9.0 iso

I could build one kernel that would support the hardware on both computers, or one kernel for each computer.  This would be the USB-stick i386 install.  I would also have FreeBSD 9.0 amd64 on the new computer hard drive; would put the system source and ports tree on the hard-drive installation.  I might put /home together with root and /usr on the main (USB-stick installation) partition.  X Window manager would be IceWM.

FreeBSD itself can run comfortably in well under 256 MB RAM.  Resource hogs are the big applications: KDE, GNOME, bigger web browsers, multimedia, Adobe Flash Player, printers.  Servers, not needing all the fancy stuff, can be set up on old computers as long as they're in good condition.  By printers, I mean not only CUPS, but hplip which depends on cups.  On BETA1, hplip build failed in cups because of undefined variable, I believe.  Other failed port was fuse.

On the computer from 2001, FreeBSD 8.1 and 8.2 /var got over 800 MB; I became nervous as /var data grew during the freebsd-update from 8.1 to 8.2.

Most iso-downloadable (CD or DVD) Linux distributions now require 512 MB RAM or more; I believe PC-BSD requires at least 512 MB RAM.

Tom