Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2001 20:06:36 +0100 (CET)
From:      Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
To:        Phil R <t3xt@sympatico.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cannot burn a CD with burncd

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001, Phil R wrote:

> I have those errors on two BSD boxes with two different CDR!!!
> (Yamaha 2200 20/10/40 and an old HP)
>
> #burncd -t -s4 -f  /dev/acd0c data something.tar.gz fixate (or different
> speed)

Have a look at mkisofs in /usr/ports/sysutils/mkisofs. You will need to
make an ISO image out of the files you want to burn before you can
actually burn them. As far as the error messages you get at the end of the
burn process go, you can most likely disregard them. I get them all of the
time with an old Mitsumi burner, yet there are no problems with the Cds I
burn.

Having said that, I'd like to add the following: Exactly this very
question where people try to burn "raw", i.e. non-ISOFS'ed files to a CD
and then wonder why their CD doesn't work seems to turn up here at least
once a week and at the most once per day. I'm currently not that
informed about what's actually in the handbook, but could it be that the
usage of burncd, as well as the need to create iso files before burning,
is not really explained there and should be added? Or, is this question in
the FAQ? It surely belongs there, as I have seen only very few questions
being asked more often than this one.

Greetings
Nils

Nils Holland
Ti Systems - FreeBSD in Tiddische, Germany
http://www.tisys.org * nils@tisys.org