Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 23:04:29 -0700
From:      "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
To:        masqurin <masqurin@wanadoo.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: problem during hardware probing

On 28 Jun 2002, at 0:59, masqurin wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I can't install freebsd 4.6 (nor 4.5) on my notebook (compaq presario
> 1211 EA).
>
> At the beginning of the installation process, during hardware probing,
> the program freeze. The last two lines displayed before freezing are:

From the FreeBSD FAQ at http://www.freebsd.org/FAQ/install.html#BOOT-FLOPPY-
HANGS:

3.26. Why does the boot floppy start, but hang at the Probing Devices... screen?
If you have a IDE Zip or Jaz drive installed, remove it and try again. The boot floppy can get
confused by the drives. After the system is installed you can reconnect the drive. Hopefully this will
be fixed in a later release.
--end quote from FAQ--
Of course, if you don't have an IDE Zip or Jaz drive, you have another problem. Hardware faults
that result in hangs are almost always the result of either IRQ conflicts or some other resource
conflict (such as I/O addresses). Sometimes, you won't see that behavior with a given operating
system while you will with another.

I hope this is of assistance to you.

Regards,

Corey Snow