Date:      Thu, 11 May 95 10:41:49 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        imp@village.org (Warner Losh)
Cc:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: question on sun cds

> : The big buggaboo is the volume label and directory entry structure
> : differences that SunOS has.  The zeroed inode number as a tag for an
> : empty file system block is "different" in the directory entries
> : themselves.
>
> Where might I find out about these differences?

The header files,  show layout and hint at the way they are marked,
and hex dumps of several directories should catch one.

To create one, create long file names in a directory until it spills
over to two blocks (you can see it by doing an "ls -ld ."), create
one more, then delete the one previous (it will be the first entry in
the block) and look how it coelesces.

Hey!  I just thought of a shortcut: I believe the NetBSD port to Sun
can mount Sun disks, if you wanted to look at that, and then the only
thing to deal with would be byte order.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---