Date:      Sun, 31 Dec 2006 08:22:35 -0200
From:      JoaoBR <joao@matik.com.br>
To:        Sam Leffler <sam@errno.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Lamont Granquist <lamont@scriptkiddie.org>
Subject:   Re: ath0 timeout problem - again

On Sunday 31 December 2006 01:33, Sam Leffler wrote:
> JoaoBR wrote:
> > On Saturday 30 December 2006 18:29, Sam Leffler wrote:
> >> See my previous reply to you.  Lamont is directing you to look for
> >> stations in your network operating with power save enabled.
> >
> > even if there are stations with powersaving on we can do anything again=
st
> > it
> >
> > this is an ISP environment where people connect with compatible hardwar=
e,
> > I do not agree that power management enabled on some of them could bring
> > the network down
>
> Sorry I don't understand your comment.  Noone has ever said having power
> save enabled in client sta's should be permitted to cause an ap to stop
> proper operation.

hum, but that is exactly what it ever appered to be

I relate a problem, in this case the AP stops transmitting
I get answers that there are power management issues on a client station

so what I did misunderstood here?=20

=2E...

> I guess you still don't understand what 802.11 power save operation means.

probably right but I am not sure if I need to, this must be understood by w=
hom=20
writes the driver I guess and who writes the driver should take care of tha=
t=20
the AP does not buffer packages endless until itself dies at the end with=20
full buffers=20

I believe that the ath driver when in hostap does not know that a sleeping=
=20
remote card is away for ever because it does NOT clear it's own buffer unti=
l=20
reboot/reload. I do not know why but I believe it does not send or read the=
=20
beacons to this sleeping station (I believe the AP should send a beacon=20
telling the station there are buffered packages), then when the station doe=
s=20
not wake up then the AP should discard this packages but it does not and ov=
er=20
the time the ath buffer fills up until then OACTIVE happens and the card is=
=20
gone ... as well as the AP :)

anyway this is another hot problem but not related to the problem of this=20
thread

=2D-=20

Jo=E3o